Ring Rath Sone Fort open to the public to visit any day of week.
Situated east of Tullow and covering an area of approx. 18 acres is one of the most impressive stone hill forts in the country. It is called Rathgall but is known locally as The
Ring of Rath. Comprising of four rings, the inner three being circular stone ramparts with the innermost constructed at a later date than the others, this site is just amazing to view…
Dated to the Bronze Age circa 800BC it was excavated in 1969 and a fair amount of artefact's were uncovered making this historically an extremely important site. Evidence of Bronze Age smelting and dwellings were also discovered. The innermost ring is thought to have been added in medieval times when the fort was still in use. It is believed to have been unoccupied for up to a thousand years after it's initial use and it is debated that it might be a possible site of the seat of the Kings of Leinster or indeed a burial site for same.
For such a large construction it is not really that visible from the road. Ariel views easily confirm it's actual size. The walls are surrounded by an outer ditch but access is granted by the landowner by way of a track that is perimetered by fencing
Fr. Murphy Monument the Square Tullow
Fr. Murphy was initially against rebellion and actively encouraged his parishioners to give up their arms and sign an oath of allegiance to the British Crown. On 26 May 1798, a group of men gathered under Fr. Murphy to decide what to do for safety against the regular yeomanry patrols at a townland called the Harrow. At about eight o'clock that evening, a patrol of 20 Camolin cavalry spotted the group and approached them, demanding to know their business. They left after a brief confrontation, having burned the cabin of a missing suspected rebel whom they had been tasked to arrest. As the patrol returned they passed by Fr. Murphy's group who were by now angry at the sight of the burning cabin. As the cavalry passed by the men an argument developed, followed by stones being thrown and then an all out fight between the men and the troops. Most of the cavalry quickly fled, but 2 of the yeomen, including the lieutenant in command, Thomas Bookey, were killed. The Wexford Rebellion had begun and Fr. Murphy acted quickly; he sent word around the county that the rebellion had started and organised raids for arms on loyalist strongholds
Just off Abbey Street Tullow
This Augustinian Abbey was recorded in Tullow as early as 1312. In that year, Simon Lumbard and Hugh Tallon granted a house and three acres of land to the Abbot. In 1541, James Butler, the 9th Earl of Ormonde, obtained from the Crown a lease of 21 years of the Monasteries of Tullow and Leighlinbridge. The Earls of Ormonde were eventually deprived of their monastery and surrounding properties. The buildings were demolished but it is not known when this took place
Saint Columba’s Curch
The Church of Ireland Church in Tullow is known as St. Columba's. It is situated in Church Street. Three church buildings have stood on the same site. The original building dated back to the 1530's. It was knocked down and replaced by a new building in 1737.
The existing St. Columba's was erected in the years 1830-1831. It cost £1,669 at the time. A vestry was added in 1861. Other renovations were carried out in 1893.
A monument was erected in 1745 to the memory of General Clement Neill who carried colours for William of Orange at the Battle of the Boyne. General Neill's Mother was a sister of Sir Charles Wolseley whose descendants owned Mount Wolseley.
The Wolseley family erected a fine stained glass window in St. Columba's in memory of Sir John Richard Wolseley (d. 1874) and his wife Frances, who died in 1707.